Guidelines for Proclamations, Letters of Honor, & Keys to the City
CITY OF GREEN COVE SPRINGS
CEREMONIAL GUIDELINES FOR
PROCLAMATIONS, LETTERS OF HONOR,
AND KEYS TO THE CITY
Proclamations are official announcements and/or public declarations issued by the Mayor. They are ceremonial in nature and do not have any legislative value.
Letters of Honor are ceremonial documents that recognize an individual’s service or extraordinary achievement. They do not have any legislative value.
Keys to the City are an honor bestowed by the City upon distinguished persons and honored guests of the City of Green Cove Springs. It symbolizes outstanding civic contributions of the recipients.
These ceremonial declarations are issued for the following reasons:
1. Recognition of action or service above and beyond the call of duty;
2. Recognition of extraordinary achievement;
3. Supporting actions that improve the quality of life of the Green Cove Springs community; or
4. Raise public awareness of issues that directly affect the Green Cove Springs community.
Proclamations are usually presented to the recipient at a regular City Council meeting. They are prepared on 8 ½ x 11 paper and always includes the following:
- Whereas clauses providing information that basically describe the five W’s (who, what, when, where and why);
- A Now, Therefore Be it Resolved clause proclaiming a specific event;
- An execution date representing the date the Mayor signed the document and/or the date of the event;
- Signature of the Mayor and City Clerk;
- City Seal; and
- Be enclosed in a certificate holder.
Prepared on the Mayor’s letterhead, Letters of Honor include information supplied by the requester containing the five W’s (who, what, when, where and why) and will be signed by the Mayor. Letters will be mailed to the recipient.
Keys to the City
The Key to the City is the City’s most prestigious award and will only be used to recognize exceptional achievement or to bestow honor upon distinguished persons and honored guests of the City of Green Cove Springs. Keys to the City are usually presented by the Mayor or member of the City Council.
All application forms (see link at the bottom of this page) must be returned to the City Clerk’s Office for processing. Applications for a Proclamation or Letter of Honor must be submitted at least 15 business days prior to the event. Applications for a Key to the City must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event. Individuals/organizations are encouraged to file their request as early as possible. Applications received after the deadline will be prepared based upon staff availability. Requestors will be advised when issuance cannot occur by the event date.
The City Clerk’s Office will initially review all applications and forward to the Mayor for final approval.
Receipt of Final Document
Individuals/organizations have several options for receiving the finalized document:
1. Presentation can occur at an event sponsored by the individual/organization subject to availability of the Mayor or a City Council Member.
2. Presentation can occur at a regularly scheduled City Council meeting which will require additional information for agenda purposes.
3. Presentation can be mailed or picked up from the City Clerk’s Office.
The individual/organization requesting a Proclamation or Letter of Honor will arrange for any and all media coverage. Pictures taken by City Staff upon presentation at the City Council meetings will be uploaded to the City website and Facebook page.
Julie Clevinger, CMC, City Clerk
City of Green Cove Springs
321 Walnut Street
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
Telephone: (904) 297-7047
Fax: (904) 284-8118
Click on the link below to download the Application form:
Proclamation, Letter of Honor, and Key to the City Application Form