- Do not workout alone.
- Advise someone of your workout times and route taken and check in with them when finished.
- Do not workout in deserted or dark areas.
- Have several different routes and rotate them.
- Check your workout route before you start.
- Get to know the neighborhood of your workout routes.
- Avoid bushes, doorways and alleys during your workout.
- Plan safe locations on your route, well-populated areas where you can go for help.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash or jewelry.
- Do carry personal identification, with an emergency contact name and phone number.
- Carry a whistle or some type of noise making device.
- Stay alert and scan the area in front of you and avoid person(s) or situations that make you feel uneasy.
- Every now and then during your workout, check the area behind you.
- Be careful when people stop you for directions. Always reply from a distance and never get too close to a vehicle.
- If you think someone is following, change directions or go to your safe location.
- Carry a cellular phone when possible.
- Report suspicious persons or incidents to the police as soon as possible.
- Know the phone numbers to police and have them available.