Electric Services & Rates
How to Contact Us to Report Electric Trouble
Outage Management Process
- If you are experiencing a power outage during our normal working hours of 7 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Thursday, call the Electric Department at 904-297-7094 to report the problem, including the location, your name and telephone number. In the case of a high volume of calls, you may also call Public Works, City Hall or the Police Department. We will get the information to ensure that your area is restored of power. Remember to be patient for there may be many calls to report an outage if it affects a large area. We well contact you to ensure everyone's power has been restored.
- After hours, please call the Police Department at 904-297-7300 to report a problem.
Services Provided at Our Facility
- When the process at Developmental Services has been completed and they send us a Work Order to proceed, we will dispatch a team to connect a service.
- If a customer has a concern about their voltage, meter, or electric service we will investigate to ensure that all is correct.
- If a customer is interested in having a surge protector installed, we will do so after being contacted by City Hall informing us that all fees have been paid.
- The Electric Department maintains power lines and keeps them free of limbs and vines.
- Our number one service is to our customers and ensuring that they are provided with uninterrupted electric service and, in the case of an outage, the quick and efficient restoration of that power.
Your electric bill charges are made up of multiple components: some which are fixed, and some which are variable. The fixed portion (or energy charge) is set by city ordinance and is a multiplier on the number of kilowatt hours (kwh) you use.
Every month our power supplier (Florida Municipal Power Agency) calculates the variable costs associated with delivering energy (electric power) to our City. The difference in the City's energy charge and the rate computed by FMPA each month is called the bulk power cost adjustment or BPCA. The BPCA changes from month to month depending on the cost to generate and deliver power during the period. Some of the things that increase the BPCA are:
- The price of delivered fuel oil/natural gas/coal and nuclear fuel during the period
- The energy demand charge
- Very high and very low-temperature patterns across the state of Florida which determine capacity needs
- The delivery or transmission charge to get the power to Green Cove Springs
- Variable interest rate expenses being paid by the supplier
- Prices being paid for energy and fuel on the market through hedging
Hedging: Purchasing a commodity/ item for future use at a rate which is lower than the current rate, anticipating the current rates will go up or remain the same, but you will have purchased the commodity/ item at a lower price.
Demand charge: A large portion of the energy bill we get from FMPA is based on the energy peak "the city" collectively uses during the top one-hour period in a month. This is called the peak demand. When far-reaching weather systems drive usage up for extended period of time, it results in a higher demand component of the bill. Reducing peak demand will result in lower electric bills for all our customers. You can help reduce demand to lower your utility bill:
- Buy energy-efficient appliances
- Follow energy conservation tips
- Insulate your home
Monthly Customer Service Charge (Base Rate) Updated Sept. 19, 2023
- Residential: $15
- General Service Non-Demand (Commercial): $15
- General Service Demand (Commercial): $60
- Master-Metered: $53.50
- General Service Large Demand (Industrial): $250
Monthly Energy Charges
- Residential under 1,000 kwh: 0.10790
- Residential above 1,000 kwh: 0.11222
- General Service Non-Demand (Commercial): 0.11470
- General Service Demand (Commercial): 0.08432
- Master-Metered: 0.110
- General Service Large Demand (Industrial): 0.07402
Monthly Demand Charges
- Residential: N/A
- General Service Non-Demand (Commercial): N/A
- General Service Demand (Commercial): $9.01
- Master-Metered: N/A
- General Service Large Demand (Industrial): $10.07