Building Division

The Building Division processes permit applications, reviews building plans, issues building permits, and schedules inspections for to verify compliance with the Florida Building code. As of 07/09/2018, the City of Green Cove Springs is outsourcing inspections and plan review while searching for a new Building Official.  All permit applications and inspection requests should still come through this Building Division. 

For Building permits and applications, go to Building Applications.

Contractor Registration

To register as a contractor with the City of Green Cove Springs, please submit the following items to or via fax to 904-284-4849.

  • Clear copy of your state license 
  • General Liability 
  • Workers Compensation Insurance or Exemption
  • Contact information for the contractor and / or the company 

The General Liability and Workers Compensation Insurances should list the City of Green Cove Springs as a certificate holder with the following address:

City of Green Cove Springs
Building Division
321 Walnut Street
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043

Common Questions

Q: When is a permit required?
A: Per Florida Building Code (102.2), a permit shall apply to the construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every public and private building, structure or facility or floating residential structure, or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings, structures, or facilities. For slightly more specific project types, please review our When do I need a Building Permit? document. If you are unsure whether you need a permit, you can contact us at 904-297-7050 or email

  • NOTE: Green Cove Springs DOES require fence permits.

Q: Who can pull a permit?
A: A permit can be pulled by a licensed contractor or a homeowner that resides at the property. A landlord/owner, who does not reside at the home, is not authorized to pull a permit.  Any applicant that is within a Homeowner's Association (HOA) must obtain the HOA approval before applying for a permit.

Q: What paperwork do I need to pull a building permit?
A: Application requirements vary by permit, but in general you will need the Building Permit Application, LDR Compliance Application, and construction plans and / or product specifications for what you are doing. You may also need a Notice of Commencement or the Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement. All of the necessary applications are on our Building Applications page.

Q: What happens after a permit is issued?
A: When a permit is issued, it is considered in full force and effect until such time as the work covered thereby is complete. However, if work covered by such permit has not been completed within 180 calendar days (6 months) from the date of issuance of such permit, or has been commenced and then suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 calendar days from the date of the most recent inspection, such permit shall terminate/expire and become null and void. In order to prevent a permit from expiring, work should be completed in a timely manner and inspections scheduled as required.

Q: How do I choose a contractor?
A: Always select a licensed contractor. Ask for and check references.  You can "Verify a License" by license holder name or by license number on the state web site at   

Q: How do I know if my address is within city limits?
A: You can search an address on the Clay County Property Appraiser's website. When the results come up, look at the tax jurisdiction. If it says "Green Cove Springs," you are within the city limits.

Prior to receiving a Certificate of Occupancy for a single family dwelling, a Solid Waste Assessment Fee must be paid.  The fees are prorated by the calendar year.  

Approval Process
Below, please see our approval process. Click on the image for a printable PDF.